A good thing to do with Persian Cucumbers from Trader Joe’s

26 Oct

I love dill pickles. It has been one of my lifelong dreams to make my own. Well, to research making pickles. I figured, if it was too complicated and required too many unusual ingredients, I would forget about it and make room for other culinary dreams. Store bought pickles are just fine.

Then, while recipe surfing one day, I found a Garlic Dill Pickle recipe on Chow that involved only eight ingredients (water is one of them), and started with, “This is as easy as pickling gets, so there’s no reason not to make your own dill pickles.”

Hello, pickles! The recipe of my dreams.

The kicker, though, came a few months ago when I discovered Persian Cucumbers at Trader Joe’s. These thin, seedless cukes instantly conjured thoughts of canning. They were the perfect size and came seven to a package.

Persian Cucumbers from Trader Joe’s (Don’t they look perfect?!)

So, last Sunday I embarked on the pickle-making journey. I picked up two Persian Cucumber packs and assembled the rest of the ingredients.

Pickling ingredients

White vinegar, Kosher salt, garlic, , fresh dill, mustard seed (I used ground mustard) and a bay leaf. Also, water (not shown).

Chopping dill and garlic

Chopping dill and garlic on the glass cutting board (one of my favorite kitchen items).

After dealing with the ingredients as the recipe instructed, I combined everything in a big bowl, put a plate over the bowl to keep the cukes immersed in the brine and then wrapped the bowl in plastic wrap. It stood for about three days.

Pickles pickling in a bowl

Everything’s in the bowl, the cocoon of pickling. ready to be transformed into garlic dill delight.

Three days later…

Pickles in brine

The plate comes off.

We tasted the pickles … FANTASTIC!!! Maybe a little salty. But good enough that I want to find other recipes and try variations in pickle making.

Pickles in the jar

Pickles in the jar. Beautiful!

Voila!

What is your pickle making experience? Please let me know if you have any tips. Much appreciated!

Thank you, Trader Joe’s!

And thank you for reading and following Things I Love at Trader Joe’s!

Follow Things I Love at Trader Joe’s on Twitter: @TraderJoesKC

Follow Things I Love at Trader Joe’s on Pinterest: Trader Joe’s

Related Links:

All Recipes – Pickle recipes

NPR: Three secrets to crispy pickles

Epicurious: Fast, favorite pickle recipes

About these ads

9 Responses to “A good thing to do with Persian Cucumbers from Trader Joe’s”

1. CDC November 2, 2012 at 6:46 am #

Those look mighty tasty! I tried my hand at pickle-making once using (I regret to say) a *mix*. Lack of personal flavouring, however, still resulted in a lovely product. Hurrah for the pickle!

• procurrent November 2, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Thanks so much for the comment, Caitlin! It was an exciting event for me : ) Very cool that you’ve pickled in the past! Any suggestions for flavors? In your travels, have you found any new pickle ideas?

• CDC November 6, 2012 at 4:31 am #

Not much more to comment on about making cucumber pickles, but (if they still have them), TJs used to carry packages of small, peeled, steamed (I think?) beets. Pop those in a good marinade and – oh! – the joy of “pickled” beets! (I confess – I love just about anything in pickled form)

• procurrent November 7, 2012 at 7:18 am #

I’ll take a look for the beets! Thanks for the suggestion! Pickling adventures ahead! : )

2. Ultra Celeb Diet April 14, 2013 at 10:51 am #

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and
    adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look
    forward to fresh updates and will share this website with my Facebook
    group. Chat soon!

• Things I Love at Trader Joe's April 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and for visiting TILATJ’s! I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts about your favorite Trader Joe’s products.

3. Slim Lipo Plus April 18, 2013 at 7:47 am #

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but
    your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back in the future. Cheers

• Procurrent April 18, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

Thanks so much for visiting the blog and for your nice comment!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A seasonal reminder: Persian Cucumbers | Things I love at Trader Joe's - April 10, 2013

[...] A good thing to to with Persian Cucumbers – Pickle-making recipe (ThingsILoveAtTraderJoe&#8217… [...]